Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A kind of goat-antelope, Antilope or Nemorhœdus goral, inhabiting the Himalaya mountains. It has short, conical, inclined, recurved horns, and short fur of a grayish-brown color minutely dotted with black, the cheeks, chin, and upper part of the throat being white. The goat-antelope of Japan is similar. Also
- n. A type of Asian ungulate ruminant, now defined as any of several species of the genus Nemorhaedus.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) An Indian goat antelope (Nemorhedus goral), resembling the chamois.
- n. small goat antelope with small conical horns; of southern Asian mountains
- From an eastern Indian word for the Himalayan Goral. (Wiktionary)
“There's a species of primitive central Chinese wild goat called the goral in an enclosure above the polar bear's.”
“This forest in Jilin, on the border with North Korea, was once one of the most bio-rich places in northern China, home to over fifty species of mammals, including the Amur tiger, sika deer, goral, sable, and black bear, as well as 200 species of birds.”
“Hairs found near sightings of a yeti-like primate in India have turned out to be goral (a wild goat) hairs.”
“There are several threatened species such as the endangered snow leopard, takin, and Himalayan goral (Naemorhedus baileyi), and the vulnerable serow (Capricornis sumatraensis) and Himalayan tahr (Hemitragus jemlahicus) (in eastern Nepal and Sikkim) in this ecoregion.”
“Several distinctive ungulate herbivores are endemic to this hotspot, including the takin (Budorcas taxicolor, VU), an unusual 300-kilogram goat antelope, the red or Bailey's goral (Nemorhaedus baileyi, VU), which is endemic to the Gaoligong Shan, and the Chinese forest musk deer (Moschus berezovskii).”
“The tahr is common, the serow, goral, musk deer and blue sheep are rare.”
“The goral Nemorhaedus goral does not seem to occur within the basin, although the species does occur near the Park.”
“Red goral occurs primarily in southeast Tibet where authorities have established a reserve specifically for this goat-antelope.”
“Some of the characteristic mammals that can be used as focal species in this ecoregion include goral (Nemorhaedus goral), barking deer (Muntiacus muntjak), and yellow-throated marten (Martes flavigula).”
“But several species are threatened, including the snow leopard, serow, Himalayan tahr, argali, and Himalayan goral.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘goral’.
a large light-coloured antelope with curled horns. L. from an African word quoted by Pliny.
any one of a group of hollow-horned...
Looking for tweets for goral.