from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A brimless Scottish cap with a flat, round top.
- n. A heavy, laced walking shoe.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A castle and associated estate in Aberdeenshire, Scotland that is a private residence of the British sovereign
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A long woolen petticoat, worn immediately under the dress.
- n. A kind of stout walking shoe, laced in front.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A name given (usually with a capital as an adjective and without as a noun) to various articles of dress possessing unusual strength and weight, in imitation of the materials or style of those worn out of doors by Queen Victoria, or the members of her family, during visits to the royal residence at Balmoral, in Aberdeenshire, Scotland.
- n. A Scotch cap, originally of wool.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a sturdy laced walking shoe
- n. a brimless dark blue Scottish cap with a flat top and a plume on one side
After Balmoral Castle in northeast Scotland.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)