from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A deep mountainside gorge or gully, especially in the Swiss Alps.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A steep gorge along a mountainside.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A deep gorge; a gully.
- n. A dredging machine for excavating canals, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A steeply ascending gorge or gully: applied especially to gorges near the Alpine summits.
- n. A dredging-machine which employs iron elevator-buckets on an endless chain and excavates by making a gully where the buckets pass.
French, from couler, to slide, to flow; see coulee.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French couloir. (Wiktionary)