American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A street band in Mexico.
- n. The music performed by such a band.
- n. A musician belonging to such a band.
- adj. Of or pertaining to a traditional form of Mexican music, either sung or purely instrumental.
- adj. Of or pertaining to a band playing such music, or to the singers of such songs.
- n. A group that plays mariachi music.
- n. A member of such a group.
- n. a group of street musicians in Mexico
- Borrowing from Spanish mariachi, from French mariage ("marriage"). (Wiktionary)
- American Spanish, perhaps from French mariage, marriage (so called because the music may have originated at weddings in Jalisco, a state of west-central Mexico); see marriage. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The word "mariachi" is believed to have originated in their language.”
“Maybe you already know this but mariachi is not a generic term for all Mexican music.”
“A pot-bellied Catrín (the male version, its name meaning "a dandy") clothed in mariachi garb holds a rooster; a small platoon of grinning Catrinas wear mermaid tails and bear flowers.”
“This is my family," he said, a trickle of laughter spilling from Cecilia and Leonardo as I looked at the group of pigs in mariachi garb on one side of the fan.”
“The mariachi is the sum of a cultural evolution that has taken place over the last century or so in Mexico.”
“Lucy herself has remained with the mariachi's family, and the mariachi is serving a six year sentence.”
“He began to see strangers in mariachi uniforms out of the corner of his eye when he walked down the street.”
“One of the current living legends of mariachi is Aceves Mejia, now in his eighties.”
“A few Frenchmen insisted the sound and the word mariachi were imported.”
“If this were true then the word mariachi would be applied to the instrument itself and not to those who play it.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘mariachi’.
list of music genres - anything. even the most obscure sub-genres of sub-genres
For a more inclusive list, see sionnach's tom, dick and harry.
Also see the list Bad Sentences by abigail.
i am still copying down lists but i am in the 5th grade and got fourth in the spelling bee out of 26 people, the word i missed was candelabra, well next year i will win because now i know the words
...with the Sound of Music.
Looking for tweets for mariachi.