from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An iron for pressing clothes, especially one that is heated externally, as on a hearth or stove.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A simple iron (for pressing laundry) which is heated on a stove
- n. a quadrilateral with two parallel sides, one of which is very short, and whose non-parallel sides are longer than either parallel side.
- adj. Having a flatiron shape
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An iron with a flat, smooth surface for ironing clothes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An iron for smoothing cloth. It is made very hot and then passed quickly and firmly over the dampened surface of the fabric to be smoothed. Also sad-iron, or simply iron.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an iron that was heated by placing it on a stove
Sorry, no etymologies found.