from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Either of two edible North American sunfishes, the black crappie (Pomoxis nigromaculatus) or the white crappie (P. annularis).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A member of either of two species of North American sunfish of the genus Pomoxis. Both are silvery-white with black speckles, and prized as gamefish.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of fresh-water bass of the genus Pomoxys, found in the rivers of the Southern United States and Mississippi valley. There are several species.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A sunfish, Pomoxys annularis, of the family Centrarchidæ, found in the Mississippi.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small sunfishes of central United States rivers
- n. small sunfishes of the genus Pomoxis of central United States rivers
Canadian French crapet.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French crapet-soleil ("sunfish") (Wiktionary)