American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A dessert consisting of a biscuit or cake served with fruit and topped with cream.
- n. The biscuit or cake made for this dessert.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A rich crisp tea-cake, made short with butter, sweetened, and baked rather thin. A broad, flat, thin cake made crisp and short with lard or butter, and served up hot.
- n. A sweet biscuit typically made with flour, sugar, salt, butter, milk or cream, and sometimes eggs, and leavened with baking powder or baking soda.
- n. A dessert made with such a biscuit.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. An unsweetened breakfast cake shortened with butter or lard, rolled thin, and baked.
- n. very short biscuit dough baked as individual biscuits or a round loaf; served with sweetened fruit and usually whipped cream
“Strawberry shortcake is typically made with a biscuit-like cake or scone that is split and filled with strawberries and sweetened whipped cream.”
“Strawberry shortcake is one of those matches made in heaven ...”
“I'm with you; strawberry shortcake is one of the best possible uses for good strawberries (and makes me envy people with June birthdays).”
“Strawberry shortcake is a simple dish — a sliced biscuit, lightly sweetened strawberries and fluffy, whipped cream are its only requirements.”
“It has some of the best Southern food I've ever tasted, and their strawberry shortcake is divine.”
“Yeah, but he misses out on the shortcake, which is obviously the best dessert.”
“But the shortcake should be the meal, not the end of one that has already furnished too much food.”
“Well, I didn't have peaches and cream for supper last night, but I had strawberry shortcake, which is almost as good, so I can tell you a story, anyhow.”
“This was varied by a compound called "shortcake," a mixture of flour and lard, rapidly baked in a pan, and eaten hot.”
“I had a shortcake, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, kiwis, grapes and a dollop of whipped cream!”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘shortcake’.
Looking for tweets for shortcake.