from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Sky-blue; azure.
- n. The blue roach of Europe (Leuciscus caeruleus), so called from its color.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Azure.
- n. The blue roach of Europe (Leuciscus cæruleus); -- so called from its color.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An English book-name of a fish which is a variety of the rudd; the blue roach.
- n. A bird of the genus Malurus (which see).
- n. A bluish-black shade produced in printing with aniline black, formed by treating the fabric with ammonia after the black is completely developed.
- n. A crystalline base. C35H32N4O3, formed by heating a mixture of orthotoluene diamine and salicylic aldehyde. It melts at 251° C.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Also, some of their women tint their faces proportionally, as chin, cheeks, and forehead and the wrists of their hands, whereupon they lay a colour which continueth dark azurine.
Beyond rose the apartment houses where the middle and lower classes lived, those of the poorer characterized by few windows and cracking plaster, and those of the better-off by the wonderful multistoried murals painted by the gypsy artists, and by the brilliant azurine tiles which kept the houses warm in winter and cool in summer.
_ -- Make up a dye-bath with 2 lb. Benzo azurine G, 20 lb. Glauber's salt.
_ -- Prepare the dye-bath with 2 lb. soap, 5 lb. soda, 3 lb. Rose azurine G. Work at the boil for one hour.
_ -- Use in the dye-bath 2 oz. Rose azurine G, 1 lb. soda and
Benzo azurine 3 R, Diamine blue R W, Dianil dark blue R, the green which is got is darker and duller in tone.
_ -- Dye with 2 lb. Benzo azurine G, 3 oz. Brilliant azurine B, 1 lb. soda and 20 lb.
_ -- Dye with 3 lb. Brilliant azurine 5 G, 5 lb. common salt, 5 lb. phosphate of soda and 2 lb. soap at the boil for one hour.
_ -- Prepare a dye-bath with 10 lb. common salt, 2 lb. Benzo brown G, 1/2 lb. Benzo azurine G, 1/2 lb. Chrysophenine.
_ -- Prepare a bath containing 10 lb. soda, 1 oz. Rose azurine B.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.