Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The knot or red-breasted sandpiper, Tringa canutus.
- n. The gray snipe.
- n. The common body-louse, Pediculus vestimenti.
- n. The dab, a fish.
- n. The California gray whale, Rhachianectes glaucus.
- n. The red-headed duck or American pochard, Fuligula americana.
- n. The black-headed or American scaup duck, Fuligula marila nearctica.
- n. A Confederate soldier during the American civil war; a graycoat.
- n. alternative spelling of greyback.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The California gray whale.
- n. The redbreasted sandpiper or knot.
- n. The dowitcher.
- n. The body louse.
- n. a sandpiper that breeds in the Arctic and winters in the southern hemisphere
- n. a dowitcher with a grey back
“Note the "grayback" shirt which I mentioned in The Moonlight Mistress.”
“The rasp of his own 'grayback' shirt and the squeak of his boots seemed to bring him to himself.”
“I don't mean any disrespect to anybody - but am a little like the old "grayback" who, after the surrender, went to the Provost Marshal, at Charlottesville, to be paroled.”
“And the "grayback" (as the boys termed the rebels) could hear the ominous click of the gun lock in Frank's hands.”
“He stepped back to one of the two windows on the front of the house, where he discovered an officer and two "grayback" soldiers.”
“The rains, and sleet, and snow never ceased falling from the winter sky, while the winds pierced the old, ragged, grayback Rebel soldier to his very marrow.”
“As soon as that was discovered, we had them cut off, but it was too late -- the little grayback would not eat.”
“It would have been heartbreaking to have been obliged to come away without finding that little grayback, and perhaps never know what became of him.”
“Here I had the table all set fur breakfast, an 'ye put' er inter a grayback afore I could hold on to anything; and smash goes the hull mess on the floor -- plates, forks, vittles.”
“The silence that followed the words of the boy was broken by Quantrell's old grayback.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘grayback’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
amazing water creatures
Looking for tweets for grayback.