from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Either of two shore birds (Limnodromus griseus or L. scolopaceus) of northern regions, having brownish plumage and a long, straight bill.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of three long-legged and long-billed migratory wading birds in the genus Limnodromus of the family Scolopacidae.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The red-breasted or gray snipe (Macrorhamphus griseus); -- called also brownback, and grayback.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The red-breasted or gray-backed snipe, Macrorhamphus griseus: a popular and now a book name of this species, which was formerly locally (Long Island and vicinity) called German or Dutch snipe, to distinguish it from the so-called English snipe, Gallinago wilsoni.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. shorebird of the sandpiper family that resembles a snipe
Perhaps from Mohawk tawístawis, snipe.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From an Iroquoian language; compare Oneida tawístawe ("snipe"). (Wiktionary)