from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The atmospheric glow that remains for a short time after sunset.
- n. The light emitted after removal of a source of energy, especially:
- n. The glow of an incandescent metal as it cools.
- n. The emission of light from a phosphor after removal of excitation.
- n. The comfortable feeling following a pleasant experience.
- n. A lingering impression of past glory or success.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the glow seen in the sky after sunset
- n. the light emitted by an incandescent object while cooling
- n. the light emitted by a phosphor after excitation
- n. the mildly euphoric feeling experienced after a pleasurable experience, especially after an orgasm or drug-induced high.
- n. an afterparty
I carry about no afterglow from the 1990s — they only look good compared to the 80s and the 00s which both stunk putrid economically for workers.
How much of this reflects a bullish stock market's afterglow is up for debate, but investors are kicking off the new quarter with little trepidation.
As those campus communities enjoy the afterglow from the weekend and a wealth of attention leading to the regional semifinals that begin
Still basking in the afterglow from a short trip out to San Diego to visit good friends Ed and Jen, I hunted up an email from Ed from last summer.
The first and most well-established data point comes from the cosmic microwave background CMB, the so-called afterglow of the big bang.
This time is called the afterglow and is still a great time to shoot some low-light shots.
Such an event is thought by some scientists to be the cause of one type of gamma-ray burst, but the only radio emission seen so far from these has been from the long-lived "afterglow" that follows the original burst.
More interestingly though, I find my orgasms last longer than my partners...and not just the actual climax but the "afterglow" can go on for 20 - 25 minutes.
The "afterglow" effect is very real and is a bane to customers of self-help seminars and the like a boon to business.
Interminable seemed his lonely vigil in Miss Lumley's drawing-room, where the character of the original proprietress came out to him more than ever before in a kind of afterglow of old sociabilities, a vulgar, ghostly reference.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.