from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See peyote.
- n. A Mexican liquor distilled from the fermented juice of certain species of agave.
- n. A food prepared by cooking the fleshy leaf base and trunk of certain agaves.
- n. See maguey.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A Mexican alcoholic drink distilled from the fermented juice of the agave.
- n. The peyote cactus.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A distilled liquor prepared in Mexico from a species of agave. See agave.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A strong intoxicating spirit distilled from pulque, the fermented juice of the Agave Americana of Mexico. Also mexcal, mezcal.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a small spineless globe-shaped cactus; source of mescal buttons
- n. a colorless Mexican liquor distilled from fermented juices of certain desert plants of the genus Agavaceae (especially the century plant)
American Spanish, from Nahuatl mexcalli, mescal liquor : metl, maguey plant + perhaps ixca, xca, to bake.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Nahuatl or Classical Nahuatl mexcalli ("itoxicating drink made from fermented agave juice"), perhaps from metl ("maguey (agave)") + ixcalli ("stew"). (Wiktionary)