from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various shrubs of the genus Rhododendron having showy, variously colored flowers.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A plant of the obsolete genus Azalea.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A genus of showy flowering shrubs, mostly natives of China or of North America; false honeysuckle. The genus is scarcely distinct from Rhododendron.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of ericaceous plants, now referred to Rhododendron.
- n. [lowercase] A plant or flower belonging to this genus. See Rhododendron.
- n. [lowercase] A name of a species of plants of the genus Loiseleuria, the Alpine azalea
- n. Azalea arborescens, a species growing in the Alleghanies, forming a small tree and bearing innumerable white and pink spicy-scented flowers.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of numerous ornamental shrubs grown for their showy flowers of various colors
Greek azaleā, from feminine of azaleos, dry (so called because it grows in dry soil or from the texture of its wood).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From New Latin, from Ancient Greek ἀζαλέος (azaleos, "dry"), because it grows in dry soil. (Wiktionary)