from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various broad-leaved evergreen trees or shrubs of the genus Arbutus, including the madroña and strawberry tree, that are native chiefly to warm regions in the Americas and Europe.
- n. The trailing arbutus.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Flowering plants in the genus Arbutus, the strawberry tree.
- n. Epigaea repens, the mayflower, the trailing arbutus.
- n. arbute; the wood of the strawberry tree.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The strawberry tree, a genus of evergreen shrubs, of the Heath family. It has a berry externally resembling the strawberry; the arbute tree.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A plant of the genus Arbutus.
- n. The trailing arbutus (see below).
- n. [capitalized] A genus of evergreen shrubs or small trees of southern Europe and western North America, natural order Ericaceœ, characterized by a free calyx and a many-seeded berry.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of several evergreen shrubs of the genus Arbutus of temperate Europe and America
Latin arbutus, arbutus.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From New Latin Arbutus (genus name), from Latin arbutus. (Wiktionary)