from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various trees or shrubs of the genus Ilex; holly.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. holm oak (Quercus ilex)
- n. Any of several trees or shrubs of the genus Ilex
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The holm oak (Quercus Ilex).
- n. A genus of evergreen trees and shrubs, including the common holly.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of trees and shrubs, of the natural order Ilicineæ, or holly tribe.
- n. [lowercase] A tree or shrub of this genus.
- n. The holm-oak or holly-oak, Quercus Ilex, the leaves of which somewhat resemble those of the genus Ilex. See cut (fig. 4) under oak, 1.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a large genus of dicotyledonous trees and shrubs of the family Aquifoliaceae that have small flowers and berries (including hollies)
Middle English, holm oak, from Latin īlex.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)