from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various perennial herbs of the genus Aquilegia native to north temperate regions, cultivated for their showy, variously colored flowers that have petals with long hollow spurs. Also called aquilegia.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any plant of the genus Aquilegia, having distinctive bell-shaped flowers with spurs on each petal.
- adj. Pertaining to a dove or pigeon.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to a dove; dovelike; dove-colored.
- n. A plant of several species of the genus Aquilegia.
- n. The mistress or sweetheart of Harlequin in pantomimes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to or having the characters of a pigeon or dove; in ornithology, belonging to the Columbæ or Columbinæ; columbaceous.
- Of a dove-color; resembling the neck of a dove in color.
- n. One of the Columbæ or Columbidæ.
- n. The popular name of plants of the genus Aquilegia (which see).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a plant of the genus Aquilegia having irregular showy spurred flowers; north temperate regions especially mountains
Thanks Kyna, the columbine is a favorite of mine as well.
Thanks, the columbine was a lucky freebie, sometimes they are not so wonderful.
WATERS: Governor Bill Owens and his wife now proceeding to plant what they're calling columbine flowers following that moment of reflection on this moment one year ago when that terrible tragedy began at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado.
The columbine is a symbol of sorrow, because of its deep blue-purple color.
The columbine is the graceful little flower we so often hear called honeysuckle.
"It is called 'columbine' because the spurs look a little like doves around a drinking fountain, and the Latin word for dove is '_columba_," said Dorothy.
DeAngelis, like so many, know that the word "columbine" will forever be associated with the tragic shootings.
Human life is more important than an immediate apprehension of the suspect, unless it is an active shooter situation (school shooting such as columbine, where the shooter is still injuring others at the current time).
Some popular perennials and biennials such as columbine, foxglove,
"The columbine is another plant that is quite likely to be found in rocky places.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.