from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various ornamental, mostly climbing plants of the genus Clematis, native chiefly to northern temperate regions and having showy, variously colored flowers or decorative fruit clusters.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any plant of the genus Clematis, vigorous climbing lianas found throughout the temperate zones.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A genus of flowering plants, of many species, mostly climbers, having feathery styles, which greatly enlarge in the fruit; -- called also virgin's bower.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of plants, mostly herbaceous climbers. natural order Ranunculaceæ.
- n. [lowercase] A plant of the genus Clematis.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of various ornamental climbing plants of the genus Clematis usually having showy flowers
Latin clēmatis, a creeping plant, from Greek klēmatis, from klēma, klēmat-, twig.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)