from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several weedy, chiefly biennial plants of the genus Arctium in the composite family, having pink or purplish flower heads surrounded by prickly bracts and forming a bur in fruit.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of the species of biennial thistles in the genus Arctium.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A genus of coarse biennial herbs (Lappa), bearing small burs which adhere tenaciously to clothes, or to the fur or wool of animals.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The common name of the Arctium Lappa, a coarse, broad-leafed biennial weed, natural order Compositæ, having the numerous awns of the involucral bracts hooked at the tip.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of several erect biennial herbs of temperate Eurasia having stout taproots and producing burs
bur1 + dock4.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)