from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various plants of the genus Senecio, having rayed, usually yellow flower heads.
- n. Variant of groundsill.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several widely-distributed plants, of the genus Senecio, having yellow, daisylike flowers.
- n. Alternative spelling of groundsill.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An annual composite plant (Senecio vulgaris), one of the most common and widely distributed weeds on the globe.
- n. See Ground plate (a), under ground
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The Senecio vulgaris, an annual European weed belonging to the Compositœ, adventitious in the northeastern United States.
- n. See groundsill.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. Eurasian weed with heads of small yellow flowers
Middle English groundeswille, from Old English grundeswylige, alteration (influenced by grund, ground) of gundeswilge : gund, pus + swelgan, to swallow (from its use in reducing abscesses).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)