from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An alpine plant (Leontopodium alpinum), native to Europe and having leaves covered with whitish down and small flower heads surrounded by conspicuous whitish bracts.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A European perennial alpine plant, Leontopodium alpinum, with downy leaves and small white flower heads in a dense cluster.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A little, perennial, white, woolly plant (Leontopodium alpinum), growing at high elevations in the Alps. It is the national flower of Austria.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The Leontopodium alpinum (Gnaphalium Leontopodium) of the Alps and Pyrenees, a plant much sought for by travelers in Switzerland, where it grows at a great altitude in situations difficult of access.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. alpine perennial plant native to Europe having leaves covered with whitish down and small flower heads held in stars of glistening whitish bracts
German : edel, noble (from Middle High German edele, from Old High German edili) + weiss, white (from Middle High German wīz, from Old High German wīz, hwīz).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From German Edelweiß, from edel ("noble") + weiß ("white"). (Wiktionary)