from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A purified resin prepared from the flowering tops of the female cannabis plant and smoked or chewed as a narcotic or an intoxicant.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The leaves and tender parts of the Indian hemp plant (which are intoxicating), which are dried for either chewing or smoking.
- n. A cannabis extract (See Hashish on Wikipedia.Wikipedia).
- n. marijuana generally.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The tops and tender parts of Indian hemp (Cannabis sativa, var. Indica), called in India, ganjah (which see), together with a resinous exudation upon them, gathered after flowering. See hemp, and Indian hemp (under hemp).
- n. An intoxicating preparation of this plant, which is either smoked or drunk as an infusion: called in India bhang (which see).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. purified resinous extract of the hemp plant; used as a hallucinogen
Arabic ḥašīš, hemp, dried grass, from ḥašša, to mow; see ḥśś in Semitic roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Arabic حشيش (ḥašīš, "hay, dried herb"). (Wiktionary)