from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Consisting of, concerning, or based on documents.
- adj. Presenting facts objectively without editorializing or inserting fictional matter, as in a book or film.
- n. A work, such as a film or television program, presenting political, social, or historical subject matter in a factual and informative manner and often consisting of actual news films or interviews accompanied by narration.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. of, related to, or based on documents.
- adj. which serves to document (record and:or illustrate) a subject.
- adj. presented objectively without the insertion of fictional matter.
- n. A film, TV program, publication etc. which presents a social, political, scientific or historical subject in a factual or informative manner.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pertaining to written evidence; contained or certified in writing.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to or derived from documents; consisting in documents.
- Educational; instructional.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. emphasizing or expressing things as perceived without distortion of personal feelings, insertion of fictional matter, or interpretation
- adj. relating to or consisting of or derived from documents
- n. a film or TV program presenting the facts about a person or event
From French adjective and (hence) noun documentaire, from document, from Latin documentum. (Wiktionary)