American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A sequence of photographs projected onto a screen with sufficient rapidity as to create the illusion of motion and continuity.
- n. A connected cinematic narrative represented in this form.
- n. A showing of a movie. Often used in the plural: During the movie, the person in front of me kept talking. Would you like to go to the movies tonight?
- n. The movie industry.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A motion picture.
- n. A motion picture show; the event of showing a motion picture. In the pl., the event of showing a motion picture at a movie theater.
- n. The motion picture industry or medium, generally.
- n. a form of entertainment that enacts a story by sound and a sequence of images giving the illusion of continuous movement
- From moving picture. (Wiktionary)
- Shortening and alteration of moving picture. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“We had a fantastic morning of special projects and a movie... with one small glitch between the project and the movie* everyone has been in a great mood, having fun and well behaved if kids are happy they behave -- did you all know that?”
“You can still sell movie adaptations to a limited extent, by getting it out before the movie* or releasing it in that brief** months-long window between the movie's theatrical run and its DVD release.”
“Haha love this movie Chadda zulfein jhatakna bhool jaoge 1 #movie where I like sunny deol”
“I typed in vlc and there it was, so I selected my movie like this: vlc movies / legally \obtained \movie / movie. avi and that works just fine; VLC pops up and starts playing movie. avi, and I also found out that you could start VLC without an interface if you type in cvlc so that's cool.”
“I either would like a TOTALLY UNKNOWN, or Tom Felton - he seems pretty cool, and would fit the part. hehe Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 03: 29 PM EST wow. please dont put those gay cookie cutter disney stars. dakota is a good actress. the twilight movie is jampacked full of great actors and actresses. putting LUCAS GRAEBEL IN? what the heck that ruins the whole movie~ put in someone that nows how to act - and not like a gay guy with a spoiled sister”
“you've got beer dripping from your chin ..' movie New in Town now watching #movie”
“In the movie file, show one add for an upcoming movie, then show the credit card details and user account information for about 5 seconds. "this copy of $movie is licenced to $name”
“All that said and done … I think this movie is another pure example of a poorly adapted movie from a book.”
“The freakin 'movie is called "Hot Tub Time Machine" what the hell did you expect??!”
“This movie is nothing like Outpost or Zombie Lake or whatever low-budget movie from the 80's.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘movie’.
Words overused in modern pop music.
Also see ruzuzu's list: Words that should be heard in songs more often.
Stuff that's silent.
"A new word created by removing an affix from an already existing word, as vacuum clean from vacuum cleaner, or by removing what is mistakenly thought to be an affix, as pea from the earlier Englis...
Very basic words for ESL students.
There's a fiction meme (mostly on Livejournal) where writers use words as a prompt for a short story snippet. I've been collecting the words that show up on these lists as prompts for creative writ...
"House" words and phrases, literal and figurative. If another word comes before "house" in the phrase, it's listed on its own; if the phrase starts with "house," I've listed the part that comes aft...
Words that describe my interests.
Stuffie #9. Stuff you shoot.
Looking for tweets for movie.