from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to actors or acting.
- adj. Excessively dramatic or emotional; affected.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, or relating to actors or acting
- adj. Excessively dramatic or emotional, especially with the intention to draw attention.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or relating to the stage or a stageplayer; befitting a theatre; theatrical.
- adj. Affectedly dramatic; insincerely emotional; -- sometimes used in a bad sense.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to actors or acting; befitting the stage; theatrical; hence, feigned for effect; unreal.
- n. A dramatic performer; a stage-player.
- n. plural The art of theatrical representation; dramatic manner or expression: as, the histrionics of a stump-speaker.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. characteristic of acting or a stage performance; often affected
Late Latin histriōnicus, from Latin histriō, histriōn-, actor, probably of Etruscan origin.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Late Latin histriōnicus ("pertaining to acting"), from Latin histriō ("actor"). (Wiktionary)