Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to the art of dialing.
- In botany, bent at right angles. Also gnomic, gnomical.
- adj. cartography Showing all great circles as straight lines, and thus preserving the shortest distances between any two locations.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of or pertaining to the gnomon, or the art of dialing.
- Latin gnomonicus, Ancient Greek γνωμονικός (gnōmonikos, "judging by rule"): compare French gnomonique. See gnomon. (Wiktionary)
“That map and Ritter's others are considered the first examples of a gnomonic map projection, a method to accurately represent the curvature of the earth on a flat surface.”
“The bearings as laid off on a small scale chart of gnomonic projection are very inaccurate, and here we are handicapped, as our chronometers have lost all regularity.”
“Affixed to it are gnomonic instruments, made by Ignazio Dante in 1573.”
“The Right Angle at an early date gave its name to the odd numbers, which were called, by the Greeks, gnomonic numbers, as personifying the male sex, and the Right-Angled”
“Such are the Society's six gnomonic maps, the set of six gnomonic maps in Johnstone's 'Atlas of Astronomy,' and my own set of twelve gnomonic maps.”
“The distortion, however, is necessarily enormous when the celestial sphere is presented in only six gnomonic maps.”
“The maps depict the entire earth on a central or gnomonic projection, which shows the globe as six faces of a cube.”
“embower ar gorilla housebreak chicanery gnomonic doomsday multitude arizona garrulous humphrey ditch rejoice alluvium converse collocation actinometer diary capricious desk dougherty fasciculate”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘gnomonic’.
...with grateful thanks to telofy (for "cnidarian"), and to the song "Crazy ABC's" by Barenaked Ladies.
Words full of m's and n's are a little-known cure for sadness.
Looking for tweets for gnomonic.