from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Devoted to or appreciative of music.
- adj. Relating to a symphony orchestra.
- n. A symphony orchestra or the group that supports it.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A full-size symphonic orchestra.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Loving harmony or music.
- n. One who loves harmony or music
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Loving harmony; fond of music; music-loving.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a large orchestra; can perform symphonies
- adj. devoted to or appreciative of music
- adj. composing or characteristic of an orchestral group
French philharmonique, from Italian filarmonico : Greek phil-, philo-, philo- + Greek harmonika, theory of music, from neuter pl. of harmonikos, musical; see harmonic.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From phil- ("beloved, loved") + harmonic (Wiktionary)