from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Devoted to or appreciative of music.
- adj. Relating to a symphony orchestra.
- n. A symphony orchestra or the group that supports it.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A full-size symphonic orchestra.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Loving harmony or music.
- n. One who loves harmony or music
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Loving harmony; fond of music; music-loving.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a large orchestra; can perform symphonies
- adj. devoted to or appreciative of music
- adj. composing or characteristic of an orchestral group
MK: Why do rappers get so little respect in philharmonic circles?
A good friend is a total classical music fan and gives me tickets to the philharmonic, which is awesome because I never used to be into classical music.
The term "philharmonic" is an adjective meaning "music loving, devoted to music," he said.
It has its country's only philharmonic orchestra and four-year nursing school.
Her philharmonic book is definitely one of my all-time faves.
The famed musician's association with the orchestra helped attract audiences, with the philharmonic's box-office revenue more than doubling since the start of his tenure.
The philharmonic's executive director, Joshua Worby, said the orchestra and Mr. Perlman had "mutually agreed to dissolve the remainder" of the contract.
The philharmonic notified musicians of Mr. Perlman's departure via email Friday.
But, Wednesday night gave me a polecat philharmonic.
Violinist Fiona Simon , who leads the orchestra's negotiating committee, said in a statement that the new contract "will allow the philharmonic to maintain its high quality, which is important not only to our audience but to New York City's reputation as the cultural capital of the world."
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.