from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A crystalline hydrocarbon, C14H10, extracted from coal tar and used in the manufacture of dyes and organic chemicals.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A tricyclic aromatic hydrocarbon (an acene containing three fused rings) obtained from coal tar; used in the manufacture of wood preservatives, insecticides and the dye alizarin; it is isomeric with phenanthrene.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A solid hydrocarbon, C6H4.C2H2.C6H4, which accompanies naphthalene in the last stages of the distillation of coal tar. Its chief use is in the artificial production of alizarin.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A hydrocarbon (C14H10) found in coal-tar, and extracted from the last portion of the distillate from this substance by chilling and pressure.
- n. A poisonous ptomaïne obtained from cultures of the anthrax bacillus.
Greek anthrax, anthrak-, charcoal + -ene.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek ἄνθραξ ("coal") + -ene. (Wiktionary)