from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To go beyond (a limit); exceed: overstepped the bounds of taste.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To go too far beyond (a limit); especially, to cross boundaries or exceed norms or conventions.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To step over or beyond; to transgress.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To step over or beyond; exceed.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. pass beyond (limits or boundaries)
- v. be superior or better than some standard
over- + step (Wiktionary)