from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To enter by force in order to conquer or pillage.
- transitive v. To encroach or intrude on; violate: "The principal of the trusts could not be invaded without trustee approval” ( Barbara Goldsmith).
- transitive v. To overrun as if by invading; infest: "About 1917 the shipworm invaded the harbor of San Francisco” ( Rachel Carson).
- transitive v. To enter and permeate, especially harmfully.
- intransitive v. To make an invasion: "The X-rays showed that the cancer, which had invaded deeply into the chest cavity, was retreating” ( Zach Rosen).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To move into.
- v. To enter by force in order to conquer.
- v. To infest or overrun.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To make an invasion.
- transitive v. To go into or upon; to pass within the confines of; to enter; -- used of forcible or rude ingress.
- transitive v. To enter with hostile intentions; to enter with a view to conquest or plunder; to make an irruption into; to attack.
- transitive v. To attack; to infringe; to encroach on; to violate.
- transitive v. To grow or spread over; to affect injuriously and progressively.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- . To go into or upon; enter.
- To enter or penetrate into as an enemy; go or pass into or over with hostile intent, as in a military incursion.
- Hence To come into or upon as if by a hostile incursion; make an attack upon.
- To intrude upon; infringe; encroach on; violate: as, to invade the privacy of a family.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. penetrate or assault, in a harmful or injurious way
- v. to intrude upon, infringe, encroach on, violate
- v. march aggressively into another's territory by military force for the purposes of conquest and occupation
- v. occupy in large numbers or live on a host
Having a clear strategy in place _before_ you invade is just confusing and demoralizing.
I was a poor, helpless, miserable wretch; I knew, and could distinguish, nothing; but feeling pain invade me on all sides, I sat down and wept.
Granted, this was part of the initial plan of having the 4th Infantry Division invade from the north (nixed by the Turkish parliament), but the same result could have been achieved (albeit, more slowly) by coming from the South and bypassing Baghdad initially.
i rather take a risk on OBAMA THAN watching mccain invade iran and the rest of the middle east for oil and eventually china FOR RICE .......
To say that Bush was planning to invade is not unlike saying he had an invasion plan if we chose to invade (for those to definitively say one or the other would mean they were privvy to top secret meetings … unfortunately, these statements often come from those who surmise) … the difference could very much be spin or perspective, but that’s really neither here nor there.
(You wouldn’t want to invade from the East anyway, because of the mountainous terrain.)
The most serious promise that the members gave each other was the promise that is necessary to have all lesser promises make sense in a world in which nations are the members, and that was the promise not to aggressively invade, that is not to invade without the consent of other nations on the Security Council including all of those members that hold a veto power as permanent Security Council members.
Robo calls invade our privacy and you simply cannot have a two-way discussion with a robot.
No one moved for a few minutes; Janeway was making sure all the turbolifts made it to the bridge before she gave the word to invade.
This is the sci-fi-based film that was reportedly in-the-making since 1995, and it generally is about humans who desperately want to explore aka invade an area called Pandora where lives a non-human form, called the Na'vi, in order to take the rare, expensive resources found on the land.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.