American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A period of ten years.
- n. A group or series of ten.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. See decad.
- n. A series of ten Hail Marys in the rosary.
- n. rare The interval between any two quantities having the ratio 10 to 1.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A group or division of ten; esp., a period of ten years; a decennium
- n. a period of 10 years
- n. the cardinal number that is the sum of nine and one; the base of the decimal system
- From Middle English, from Middle French decade, from Late Latin decas ("(set of) ten"), from Ancient Greek δέκας (dékas), from δέκα (déka, "ten") (Wiktionary)
- Middle English, a group of ten, from Old French, from Late Latin decas, decad-, from Greek dekas, from deka, ten; see dekm̥ in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Did I use the word decade somewhere I am not ware of or is the Al deal where he says I said something I did not say? psst, gmen, just a point of psst, gmen, just a point of order- not everyone is addressing you all the time.”
“Usually, the term decade refers to something like "the Twenties," or "the Sixties.”
“If this decade is the Facebook decade, then this is the movie of the decade.”
“In this day in age, to be working anywhere for a decade is a real gift.”
“This decade is the time to fully embrace diversity and demonstrate equal rights to all Americans in this country.”
“I would say that the probability that several European countries will fall sufficiently far into the idea trap that their standard of living stagnates for more than a decade is about 25 percent over the next forty years.”
“One of the hottest comics of the decade is about to get even hotter!”
“Another trend of the decade is the role that imports have had on “new” varietal acceptance among consumers, i.e.,”
“So first you must decide what the decade is about from a wine perspective.”
“This coming decade is going to be known as the decade of tracking and monitoring," I was told by Smith, who recently became the chief technology officer of a watchdog organization called the Privacy Foundation.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘decade’.
A collection of words found in English that are either purely Greek or have Greek etymology.
Please add with caution and certainty. Will be regularly updated by me.
Here I have in mind a list of words that could be spelled with only the letters A, B, C, D, E, F, and G--and thus could also be played as a tune on the piano.
Use these and get promoted
of or relating to; used to form names
Another news story about words being removed from a dictionary before their time. See also the list of words added to the dictionary.
Very basic words for ESL students.
Words you can type with one hand--if you learned how to type formally. Hunt-and-peck method doesn't count. ;-) I'm keeping it to five or more letters to avoid an excessively lengthy list.
Listening to this as an audio book for the second time. Tim O'Brien uses simple words and phrases to great effect. Very few unfamilar and big words . The writing style reminds me of words from Joh...
There's a fiction meme (mostly on Livejournal) where writers use words as a prompt for a short story snippet. I've been collecting the words that show up on these lists as prompts for creative writ...
Looking for tweets for decade.