from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To interweave three or more strands, strips, or lengths of in a diagonally overlapping pattern: braided the rags into a strong rope.
- transitive v. To create (something) by such interweaving: braid a rug.
- transitive v. To style (the hair) by such interweaving.
- transitive v. To mingle (discrete elements, for example) as if by such interweaving: braided the ideas into a complex thesis.
- transitive v. To decorate or edge (something) with a trim of interwoven strands: finished the jacket by braiding the collar and cuffs.
- transitive v. To fasten or decorate (hair) with a band or ribbon.
- intransitive v. To flow, twist, or wind as if interwoven: a stream braiding through the woods.
- n. A braided segment or length, as of hair, fabric, or fiber.
- n. Ornamental cord or ribbon, used especially for decorating or edging fabrics.
- n. A ribbon or band used to fasten the hair.
- n. Slang Naval officers of high rank.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. deceitful
- v. (transitive) To make a sudden movement with, to jerk.
- v. (intransitive) To start into motion.
- v. To weave together, intertwine (strands of fibers, ribbons, etc.); to arrange (hair) in braids.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Deceitful.
- n. A plait, band, or narrow fabric formed by intertwining or weaving together different strands.
- n. A narrow fabric, as of wool, silk, or linen, used for binding, trimming, or ornamenting dresses, etc.
- n. A quick motion; a start.
- n. A fancy; freak; caprice.
- intransitive v. To start; to awake.
- transitive v. To weave, interlace, or entwine together, as three or more strands or threads; to form into a braid; to plait.
- transitive v. To mingle, or to bring to a uniformly soft consistence, by beating, rubbing, or straining, as in some culinary operations.
- transitive v. To reproach. [Obs.] See Upbraid.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To take, draw, pull, or snatch quickly; reach; throw; cast; brandish.
- To weave by passing three or more strands, strips, or lines of over and under each other alternately; plait; interlace: as, to braid the hair, straw, tape, etc.
- To form by braiding; interweave the material of in strands or strips: as, to braid a straw hat or a rug.
- In domestic econ., to beat and blend, as soft substances, particularly to press them with a spoon through a sieve.
- To upbraid; reproach.
- To move quickly; start; rush.
- To start suddenly (out of sleep); awake.
- To nauseate; desire to vomit.
- To be like; resemble in appearance or character.
- Deceitful; crafty.
- n. A quick motion; a start.
- n. A moment.
- n. A turn (of work); a job.
- n. A trick; deception.
- n. Any plaited band or fillet. Specifically—
- n. A wicker guard for protecting trees newly grafted.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. make by braiding or interlacing
- v. form or weave into a braid or braids
- n. a hairdo formed by braiding or twisting the hair
- v. decorate with braids or ribbons
- n. trimming used to decorate clothes or curtains
The one baitcasting application in which I have really enjoyed using super braid is in fishing hollow rubber frogs in heavy cover such as lilly pads.
I love mono line, the only time I prefer braid is if I am fishing for bass in super heavy cover or stump fields, I will use a heavy braided line in the 65lb class or better to make sure I can pull the fish out of the heavy stuff.
The braid is a nice touch on Boba Fett. qtcat incredibly creative donivan
I find it easier to tie knots with, and braid is just too tough to break.
Idk bout the rod/reel, but braid is usually used for big cats and THICK weeds.
One of the beautiful things about braid is its versatility, with a fluorocarbon leader it can be fished just about anywhere and on almost any outfit.
Washing someone's braid is good and I think 2 wks is okay.
The braid is now drying on my end table in the sun so that I can put it in a ziplock bag and mail it off to become wigs.
P-line mono and Power Pro braid is basically all I use.
Each braid is represented as multiple copies of a âYâ shaped plait.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.