from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The long hair along the top and sides of the neck of certain mammals, such as the horse and the male lion.
- n. A long thick growth of hair on a person's head.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Longer hair growth on back of neck of an animal, especially a horse or lion
- n. Long or thick hair of a person's head.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The long and heavy hair growing on the upper side of, or about, the neck of some quadrupedal animals, as the horse, the lion, etc. See Illust. of horse.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The long hair growing on the neck and neighboring parts of some animals, as the horse, lion, etc., as distinguished from the shorter hair elsewhere.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. long coarse hair growing from the crest of the animal's neck
- n. growth of hair covering the scalp of a human being
Middle English, from Old English manu.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Middle English, from Old English manu ("mane"), from Proto-Germanic *manō (“mane”), from Proto-Indo-European *mony-, *mon- (“neck”). Cognate with Dutch maan ("mane"), German Mähne ("mane"), Swedish man ("horse's mane"). (Wiktionary)