from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The bony ridge extending over the eye.
- n. The arch of short hairs covering this ridge.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The hair that grows over the bone ridge above the eye socket.
- n. A dormer, usually of small size, whose roof line over the upright face is typically an arched curve, turning into a reverse curve to meet the horizontal line at either end.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The brow or hairy arch above the eye.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The brow, or prominence of parts, over the eye; a prominent superorbital formation; a superciliary ridge or shield.
- n. A fringe of hairs growing on the brow of the eye; the supercilia. See cut under eye.
- n. In ornithology, a superciliary streak of color.
- n. In architecture, a molding over a window; a window-cap: in American usage, a light dormer without vertical sides sot in a roof.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the arch of hair above each eye
eye + brow. The corresponding Old English eagbræw meant "eyelid". Compare German Augenbraue. (Wiktionary)