from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To make the sign of the cross on or over something or someone.
- v. To make the sign of the cross.
- v. To bless, to keep from evil influence.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To sanctify; to bless so as to protect from evil influence.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To bless with the sign of the cross; bless so as to protect from evil influence.
- Forms of the past participle of say, conformed to original strong participles like lain.
Old English seġnian, from Latin signō. (Wiktionary)