from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A long, spirally curled lock of hair.
- n. A small circle or ring.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small ring.
- n. A lock, tress.
- n. A brown butterfly with numerous small rings on under wings, Aphantopus hyperantus, of the family Nymphalidae.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A small ring; a small circle; specifically, a fairy ring.
- n. A curl; especially, a curl of hair.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A circle, in a poetical or unusual sense; a ring other than a finger-ring: used loosely.
- n. A curl of hair; usually, a long and spirally curled lock, as distinguished from one of the small naturally curled locks of short hair.
- n. An English collectors' name for certain satyrid butterflies: thus, Epinephele hyperanthus is the ringlet, and Cœnonympha tiphon is the small ringlet.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of various butterflies belonging to the family Satyridae
- n. a round shape formed by a series of concentric circles (as formed by leaves or flower petals)
- n. a strand or cluster of hair
- n. a small ring
Sorry, no etymologies found.