from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An underground urban railroad, usually operated by electricity.
- n. A passage for such a railroad.
- n. An underground tunnel or passage, as for a water main or for pedestrians.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An underground railway, especially for mass transit of people in urban areas.
- n. A rapid transit system, regardless of the elevation of its right of way.
- n. underground walkway, tunnel for pedestrians (called pedestrian underpass in US).
- v. To travel by underground railway.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An underground way or gallery; especially, a passage under a street, in which water mains, gas mains, telegraph wires, etc., are conducted.
- n. An underground railroad, usually having trains powered by electricity provided by an electric line running through the underground tunnel. It is usually confined to the center portion of cities; -- called also tube, and in Britain, underground. In certain other countries (as in France or Russia) it is called the metro.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An underground way; an accessible underground passage containing gas- and water-mains, telegraph-wires, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an underground tunnel or passage enabling pedestrians to cross a road or railway
- n. an electric railway operating below the surface of the ground (usually in a city)
Hair preening in the subway is a combination of actions from the list below that most irritates me, this list being from goo Ranking looking at what actions make one think you might be a narcissist, for both women and men.
The argument against safely tunneling under Beverly Hills for the subway is as illogical as saying we should not power our homes with natural gas because of the one in a million disaster that occurred recently in San Bruno.
Further, we hold that preventing a terrorist attack on the subway is a "special" need within the meaning of the doctrine.
So on le train which is what I call the subway when I'm in a bad mood, I ask him if we need to stop for lunch.
But combating the pests in the subway is important because of the potential danger, he said.
The LA subway is the most notable example of this.
The cost of operating a subway is virtually ZERO off peak.
Encouragingly, as Mayor Jimmy Delshad has noted, the subway is very important to Beverly Hills and now has the City's qualified support.
I should see easily illegal young people who took three or four children in subway and anywhere in Queens, Manhattan, Brooklyn, in NY City.
(Soundbite of bell) SAGAL: A Virginia man was arrested Wednesday for plotting to plant bombs in subway stations in blank.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.