American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An area where rabbits live in burrows.
- n. A colony of rabbits. See Synonyms at flock1.
- n. An enclosure for small game animals.
- n. An overcrowded living area.
- n. A mazelike place where one may easily become lost: a warren of narrow, dark alleys and side streets.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A piece of ground appropriated to the breeding and preservation of rabbits or other game: a place where rabbits abound.
- n. In English law, a franchise or place privileged by prescription or grant from the crown, for keeping beasts and fowls of warren, which are hares, rabbits, partridges, and pheasants, though some add quails, woodcocks, and waterfowl. The warren is the next franchise in degree to the park; and a forest, which is the highest in dignity, comprehends a chase, a park, and a freewarren.
- n. A preserve for fish in a river.
- n. The system of burrows where rabbits live.
- n. figuratively A mazelike place of dark alleys etc in which it's easy to lose oneself; especially one that may be overcrowded.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A place privileged, by prescription or grant the king, for keeping certain animals (as hares, conies, partridges, pheasants, etc.) called beasts and fowls of
- n. A privilege which one has in his lands, by royal grant or prescription, of hunting and taking wild beasts and birds of
warren, to the exclusion of any other person not entering by his permission.
- n. A piece of ground for the breeding of rabbits.
- n. A place for keeping flash, in a river.
- n. United States writer and poet (1905-1989)
- n. a colony of rabbits
- n. an overcrowded residential area
- n. a series of connected underground tunnels occupied by rabbits
- n. United States jurist who served as chief justice of the United States Supreme Court (1891-1974)
- Middle English warenne, from Old North French, enclosure; see wer-4 in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Even though the characters are rabbits, their journey to find a new warren is incredibly gripping.”
“They were admitted into the main warren in full standing.”
“After the warren is settled, their adventures continue.”
“January 21, 2007 at 6: 41 pm | Reply dr. neil clark warren is the guy from the eharmony commercials who says he created eharmony. so now, the guy created another site and is using eharmony to pimp it. i doubt any money is being exchanged as they are both his sites.”
“He rode Dino Chretien’s coat tails to a mediocre fame and now Dino is, like a month away from pissing his Depends and eating Pablum in a nursing home poor widdle warren is left without any coat tails to ride.”
“As Robert Murat along with 19 other people invaded a small recessed corridor similar to army billets as 5A, C, D, then the warren is a run.”
“Apparently, they've all been moved to a basement "warren" called "Cubicle City," where the conditions are cramped and crowded and despairing, like life on board the Battlestar Galactica: "We have 82 members who do not have an office," said House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer D-Md.”
“Apparently, they've all been moved to a basement "warren" called "Cubicle City," where the conditions are cramped and crowded and despairing, like life on board the Battlestar Galactica:”
“I then took my gun and strolled out in the direction of the Boscombe Pool, with the intention of visiting the rabbit - warren which is upon the other side.”
“I think showing them the differences in the warrens will help us to build the kind of warren here in our home that we desire, more like Watership Down than any of the others.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘warren’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Words only (I left out the expressions) from Geza Kerenyi's EN-HU interpreters' dictionary. Most of them pose some difficulty when interpreted between HU and EN in either or both directions.
describing living arrangements from the less-than-stellar, to the sordid
Names and Persons (including derogatory)allowed by Scrabble
i think there are not enough nice boy baby names compared to girls
My big word list.
Every time there's a group discussion, I'll remember that it's just a bunch of bunnies sitting around and I'll laugh.
for the same
There are only 95 counties, but this list also includes independent cities. Some have the same name (e.g. Bedford), so tags on each word say whether a Virginia county, Virginia city, or both.
Looking for tweets for warren.