from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A specially equipped vehicle used to transport the sick or injured.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An emergency vehicle that transports sick or injured people to a hospital.
- n. A mobile field hospital.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A field hospital, so organized as to follow an army in its movements, and intended to succor the wounded as soon as possible. Often used adjectively
- n. An ambulance wagon or cart for conveying the wounded from the field, or to a hospital.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A hospital establishment which accompanies an army in its movements in the field for the purpose of providing speedy assistance to soldiers wounded in battle.
- n. A two- or four-wheeled wagon constructed for conveying sick or wounded persons.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a vehicle that takes people to and from hospitals
French, from (hôpital) ambulant, mobile (hospital), from Latin ambulāns, ambulant-, present participle of ambulāre, to walk; see ambhi in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French ambulance, from ambulant ("walking, shifting"), from Latin ambulare ("to walk, go about"). (Wiktionary)