from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To sing so that the voice fluctuates rapidly between the normal chest voice and a falsetto.
- transitive v. To sing (a song) by yodeling.
- n. A song or cry that is yodeled.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To sing (a song) in such a way that the voice fluctuates rapidly between the normal chest voice and falsetto.
- n. Such a song.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A song sung by yodeling, as by the Swiss mountaineers.
- v. To sing in a manner common among the Swiss and Tyrolese mountaineers, by suddenly changing from the head voice, or falsetto, to the chest voice, and the contrary; to warble.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To sing with frequent changes from the ordinary voice to falsetto and back again, after the manner of the mountaineers of Switzerland and Tyrol.
- n. A song or refrain in which there are frequent changes from the ordinary voice to a falsetto. Also sometimes called warble.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. sing by changing register; sing by yodeling
- n. a songlike cry in which the voice fluctuates rapidly between the normal voice and falsetto
"He can sing country, which to me is the hardest thing to pull off convincingly, and he can yodel, which is awesome," he says.
The favorite dog of ancient Egyptians, this breed is incapable of barking, instead uttering a sound called a yodel, which makes them perfect for those living in an apartment with thin walls or touchy neighbors.
There is a curious sound Labour MPs make when Tony Blair is on form, a kind of yodel which resonates around the chamber.
I love to use my M1 Garand and M1A on occasions for deer and yodel dog not because of the ability of quick shots but the nostalgia of it.
Bianca packs up her things as a bizarre, auto-tuned “Top Model” yodel song plays.
Busted a many Jacks, yodel dogs, mule & whitetail deer and caribou out to 700 yards with no problem.
I wish I had a nickel for every yodel dog crossing in front of me down town Big Cities coast to coast from 11pm to 4am delivering a load!
Siegel grew up in Brooklyn listening to a ton of folk and country music and, fortuitously, learning to yodel.
He taught Puss to yodel and explained that it was perfectly reasonable to dig a hole in our yard that goes straight to China.
Early Alpine shepherds discover how to yodel by alternating their voices between natural singing tones and falsetto pitches.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.