from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Music The ornamentation of music written for the voice with florid passages, especially trills and runs.
- n. Music Vocal music characterized by florid ornamental passages.
- n. Music A singer, especially a soprano, specializing in such ornamentation.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. plural florid or fancy passages in vocal music
- n. singular a singer of such passages, especially a soprano
- adj. Pertaining to coloratura.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. singing with florid ornamentation
- n. a lyric soprano who specializes in coloratura vocal music
Obsolete Italian, from Late Latin colōrātūra, coloring, from Latin colōrātus, past participle of colōrāre, to color, from color, color; see color.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Italian coloratura, from Late Latin coloratura, from colorare "to colour". (Wiktionary)