from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Islam Any of the 114 chapters or sections of the Koran.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. any of the 114 chapters of the Qur'an.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of the sections or chapters of the Koran, which are one hundred and fourteen in number.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A chapter of the Koran.
- n. In India, the fermented sap or “milk” of several kinds of palm, as the palmyra, cocoa, and wild date; toddy.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the muscular back part of the shank
- n. one of the sections (or chapters) in the Koran
Arabic sūra, from Aramaic šurā, absolute form of šurətā, row, line; see šwr in Semitic roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Arabic سورة (sú:ra, chapter of the Qur‘an), from سور (sáwwara, to enclose, to wall in). (Wiktionary)