from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of embellishing or the state of being embellished.
- n. Something that embellishes; a decoration.
- n. Music A note that embellishes a melody.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An unnecessarily added touch, an ornamental addition, a flourish.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of adorning, or the state of being adorned; adornment.
- n. That which adds beauty or elegance; ornament; decoration.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of embellishing, or the state of being embellished.
- n. Ornament; decoration; anything that adds beauty or elegance; that which renders anything tasteful or pleasing to the sense: as, rich dresses are embellishments, of the person; virtue is an embellishment of the mind.
- n. Specifically In music, an ornamental addition to the essential tones of a melody, such as a trill, an appoggiatura, a turn, etc.; a grace or decoration.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. elaboration of an interpretation by the use of decorative (sometimes fictitious) detail
- n. a superfluous ornament
- n. the act of adding extraneous decorations to something
embellish + -ment (Wiktionary)