American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The act of embellishing or the state of being embellished.
- n. Something that embellishes; a decoration.
- n. Music A note that embellishes a melody.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of embellishing, or the state of being embellished.
- n. Ornament; decoration; anything that adds beauty or elegance; that which renders anything tasteful or pleasing to the sense: as, rich dresses are embellishments, of the person; virtue is an embellishment of the mind.
- n. Specifically In music, an ornamental addition to the essential tones of a melody, such as a trill, an appoggiatura, a turn, etc.; a grace or decoration. Synonyms and Adornment, enrichment.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The act of adorning, or the state of being adorned; adornment.
- n. That which adds beauty or elegance; ornament; decoration.
- n. elaboration of an interpretation by the use of decorative (sometimes fictitious) detail
- n. a superfluous ornament
- n. the act of adding extraneous decorations to something
- embellish + -ment (Wiktionary)
“The smoke-key embellishment is a result of some experimenting I did with etching metal.”
“Mature enough by this time to realize that his account of his time at Business International could be described as embellishment”
“Which wasn't entirely true; by one account, "Don't Mess Around With Jim" once had upwards of 30 verses, but he knew how to make his point and wasn't interested in embellishment.”
“He draws an analogy between brownstone architecture in New York City ("the elaborate carvings, gargoyles, and beautiful iron fences?") and how their embellishment was the work of individual craftsmen and not part of the orginal specification (do "beautiful fretwork" here).”
“Christianity alone receives no embellishment from the magic of Gibbon’s language; his imagination is dead to its moral dignity; it is kept down by a general zone of jealous disparagement, or neutralized by”
“Nature, not art, is the great standard of her manners; and her exterior wears no varnish, or embellishment, which is not the genuine signature of an open, undesigning, and benevolent mind.”
“By throwing the weight upon eight strong piers and arches instead of four, he has probably guarded against the recurrence of a similar accident; at the same time he has given a larger space, a more agreeable form, and greater scope for embellishment, which is, however, most judiciously confined within such limits as not to interfere with sober and impressive grandeur.”
“Many simple, perhaps, but beautiful and refined, characteristics of the composer or performer, may pass unnoticed; but some common-place embellishment, which is considered safe, will command the expression of approbation which the trait of real genius had failed to elicit.”
“Therefore the former is called embellishment, and as that may be a kind of extensive operation, and sufficiently various, we have selected one instance of it which we adopt for the purpose of praising illustrious men, and of vituperating the wicked ones.”
“In so far as these or any other elements of improvement are unsuited to the conditions in which they are placed, they are undesirable; and it would be well for those having the interest of the village in charge, to adopt an early resolution to accept no gifts, and to allow no work of construction or embellishment, which is not, first of all, appropriate to the modest character of a well-regulated country village.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘embellishment’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Significant Words- Guiding you on your path to Snazzibility
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favourite word" and adds it to this list.
thunderfuck, incredible, merp, sara, flopparoo, smother, fugly, buer, plum, canny, nefelibata, cuntbucket and 2455 more...
From Wuthering Heights
Words I like!
( personal list, favorite words, randomness )
From Emily Bronte's book, here are some words that were used. I should learn them...
Words I love. Words that make me happy. Words like people in their vividness.
Looking for tweets for embellishment.