from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A failure in a device attributable to burning, excessive heat, or friction.
- n. Aerospace The termination of rocket or jet-engine operation because of fuel exhaustion or shutoff.
- n. Aerospace The point at which this termination occurs.
- n. Physical or emotional exhaustion, especially as a result of long-term stress or dissipation.
- n. One who is worn out physically or emotionally, as from long-term stress.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Using the throttle to spin the wheels of a vehicle being held stationary, causing the spinning tires to produce smoke and burn rubber.
- n. A marijuana addict; one whose brains have been burned out.
- n. The experience of long-term exhaustion and diminished interest, especially in one's career.
From the verb to burn out. (Wiktionary)