from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An annual competitive festival of Welsh poets and musicians.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several annual festivals in which Welsh poets, dancers, and musicians compete for recognition.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An assembly or session of the Welsh bards; an annual congress of bards, minstrels and literati of Wales, -- being a patriotic revival of the old custom.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An assembly; a meeting: specifically applied to a national assembly or congress of bards and minstrels held periodically in Wales.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of several annual Welsh festivals involving artistic competitions (especially in singing)
Welsh : eistedd, sitting, + bod, to be.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Welsh eisteddfod ("session"), from eistedd (“to sit”) + bod (“to be”) (be sitting). (Wiktionary)