American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A boat race or a series of boat races.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Originally, a gondola-race in Venice; now, any regularly appointed boat-race in which two or more row-boats, yachts, or other boats contend for prizes.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Originally, a gondola race in Venice; now, a rowing or sailing race, or a series of such races.
- n. a meeting for boat races
- From Italian (Venetian dialect) regatta ("contention for mastery"), from regattare ("compete, haggle, sell at retail"), possibly from recatare (Wiktionary)
- Italian dialectal, a contention, regatta, from regattare, to contend, perhaps from recatare, to sell again, compete, from Vulgar Latin *recaptāre, to contend : Latin re-, re- + Latin captāre, to seek to catch, frequentative of capere, to seize; see catch. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“After six regattas, a boat's worst European regatta* and its remaining worst regatta are excluded.?”
“The games are more fun to watch than a swimming meet, and for spectators, a rowing regatta is more an occasion for a picnic than an exciting sports contest.”
“You could start with the word regatta, such a richie-rich-sounding word for rowers racing in long, skinny shells.”
“Britain's six medals were second at the regatta, which is the second of seven stops of the International Sailing Federation's 2009-2010 World Cup.”
“This is the one area along the downtown San Francisco waterfront where you have a public park on the water, expressly designed with sweeping views of the open bay and the Bay Bridge," Travis said, adding that the space will be even more important in 2013 as "a little bit of respite" during the regatta, which is expected to attract hundreds of thousands of onlookers to the city shoreline on race days.”
“The regatta was the third and last stop on the Southern California Ullman Sails Inshore”
“The regatta is the eighth race of the West Florida PHRF 12-race Boat of the Year series, which begins annually in October and ends in May.”
“Singapore's 30-strong sailing contingent are contesting 11 out of 14 classes at the Asian regatta, which is also serving as a preparatory meet ahead of the 2010 Asian Games, to be held in Guangzhou from Nov 12 to 27.”
“The regatta is a series of parties where we race from on destination (party) to the next.”
“The regatta is the third of seven events in the 2009-10 ISAF Sailing World Cup series.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘regatta’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Things that sound edible but are not (usually). See Liberty's To Eat, or Not to Eat? for more diet food.
A myriad of game-changing words every Scrabble addict must have in his arsenal.
Keep in mind that these are all tried-and-true feasibly playable words selected for their handiness, i.e...
Words as I learn them.
words I read but don't know
These chromonyms are defined as colors in at least one dictionary (mostly MW3). (Actually there's one fake, for reasons I'll explain someday.) They are all one-word nouns such as "kelly", which can...
Woven, knit and tatted fabrics. Other kinds of cloth, such as tapa and chamois are not included.
This is a list of the more difficult English words found in James Joyce's Ulysses. It will continually be updated as I read along. The list is in reverse chronological order, meaning that the last ...
Looking for tweets for regatta.