from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An interval of four years between celebrations of the Olympic Games, by which the ancient Greeks reckoned dates.
- n. Sports A celebration of the modern Olympic Games.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A period of four years, by which the ancient Greeks reckoned time, being the interval from one celebration of the Olympic games to another, beginning with the victory of Corbus in the foot race, which took place in the year 776 b.c.; as, the era of the olympiads.
- n. An occurrence of the Olympic games.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A period of four years, by which the ancient Greeks reckoned time, being the interval from one celebration of the Olympic games to another, beginning with the victory of Corœbus in the foot race, which took place in the year 776 b. c..
- n. The quadrennial celebration of the modern Olympic games. See Olympics.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A period of four years reckoned from one celebration of the Olympic games to another, by which the Greeks computed time from 776 b. c., the reputed first year of the first Olympiad.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the modern revival of the ancient games held once every 4 years in a selected country
- n. one of the four-year intervals between Olympic Games; used to reckon time in ancient Greece for twelve centuries beginning in 776 BC
Thanks to the appointment of Creative Programmers in the Regions, our vision to put on a UK-wide celebration of the UK's cultural life as part of the Cultural Olympiad is now a step closer.
The Beijing Olympics, officially known as the Games of the XXIX Olympiad is fast approaching.
Their competition, the International Mathematical Olympiad, is already over.
In fact, the general consensus throughout the world was that the Olympiad was a success, although there were a few negative reactions to the cold.
The event is being held as part of the 2010 Cultural Olympiad, which is part of the Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver.
The Universiade -- a combination of "university" and "Olympiad" -- is an international multi-sport event organized by the FISU for amateur college athletes ages 17-28.
"We are delighted that BT is partnering the National Portrait Gallery - and is today becoming a Premier Partner of the Cultural Olympiad, which is already giving millions of people a chance to be part of London 2012."
Andrew Wilhelm-Boyles, executive director of Vancouver's Alliance for Arts and Culture, called the Olympiad's three-year, $20-million budget inadequate when it was announced in 2007.
These festivals, which were held every four years, became so vitally important in Greek life that they were used as the basis for the Greek calendar in which the term, "Olympiad," was used to refer to the period between two Olympic Games.
Ms. Polgar will be a featured guest at a gala ball in honor of the upcoming 2008 Chess Olympiad which is being hosted by Dresden.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.