American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A merry-go-round, as one at an amusement park.
- n. A circular conveyor on which objects are displayed or rotated: a baggage carousel in an airport.
- n. A tournament in which knights or horsemen engaged in various exercises and races.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. See carousal and carrousel.
- n. a merry-go-round
- n. a continuously revolving device for item delivery . A baggage carousel at an airport.
- n. the rotating glass plate in a microwave oven
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. a continuous belt oriented horizontally or near-horizontally around a central structure, driven in a circular motion by some mechanism, which carries luggage delivered from the luggage hold of an airplane to air travelers; -- used at airports.
- n. same as merry-go-round.
- n. a large, rotating machine with seats for children to ride or amusement
- n. a conveyer belt that carries luggage to be claimed by air travelers
- French carrousel, tilting match, carousel, from Italian carosello, tilting match. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Ferguson once coined the term "carousel" to describe Barca's dizzying passing game.”
“• While the carousel is moving, you may slow it down or change its direction by moving the mouse to that side of the page.”
“Notifier does this by displaying a ribbon of icons at the top of the phone's screen that it calls the carousel, and you can move the phone's directional arrows left or right to switch from one program to the next.”
“Reader comment: Hamish Grant says: That character on the amusement park carousel is Obelix, best friend of Asterix, the beloved cartoon character from Belgium, drawn by Goscinny & Uderzo.”
“In January of this year, USTR announced plans to modify-or "carousel" - the list of goods subject to increased tariffs in order to step up pressure on the EU.”
“The electricity went out at George Mason's Patriot Center, forcing the team to run drills using the limited light provided by the arena carousel, which is powered by a generator.”
“The embezzlement of VAT, also referred to as carousel fraud, exploits the way taxes are treated in cross-border trading where the movement of goods between jurisdictions is VAT-free.”
“Next to the carousel was a churning mass of gears and pulleys and knobs and chains that obviously made the whole thing go.”
“Whatever icon is highlighted in the carousel is the program that appears on the rest of the screen.”
“The latest evidence of this is ALSTEC's low maintenance linear drive carousel, which is setting the standard in terms of performance.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘carousel’.
Movies or TV shows where the titles are also common words, generally one-word titles.
Unabashedly stolen from a comment made by courier12.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
words that evoke magic, mystery, mayhem, magnificence or anything else that glimmers in the grass
Words as I learn them.
i love words.
New words I learn.
Sci-fi ☠ 509
Looking for tweets for carousel.