from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A revolving circular platform fitted with seats, often in the form of animals, ridden for amusement.
- n. A piece of playground equipment consisting of a small circular platform that revolves when pushed or pedaled.
- n. A busy round; a whirl: a merry-go-round of parties.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. carousel; a pleasure ride consisting of a slowly revolving circular platform affixed with various types of seats, frequently horses or other animals, typically found at fairs and amusement parks
- n. a piece of playground equipment in the style of a merry-go-round
- n. A dead-end search; a bustle of activity that gets nowhere
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any revolving contrivance for affording amusement; esp., a group of seats in the shape of hobbyhorses or other fanciful animals, arranged in a circle on a platform that is rotated by a mechanical drive, often to the accompaniment of music; the seats often move up and down in synchrony with the rotation; -- called also carousel. It is employed primarily for the amusement of children, and is typically found at an amusement park.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A revolving machine, consisting of a series of wooden horses or carriage-seats, mounted on a circular platform, on or in which children and sometimes grown persons ride for amusement. In the United States also called a carrousel.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a never-ending cycle of activities and events (especially when they seem to have little purpose)
- n. a large, rotating machine with seats for children to ride or amusement
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Cameron blamed what he called the "merry-go-round" in which a small group of boardroom directors approve each other's excessive packages to the detriment of their own companies.
If you have been on the merry-go-round for a while, more drastic steps may be needed.
If you do, you are on the car loan merry-go-round, and it's time to make a plan to get off.
Through prudent planning it is possible to get off the car loan merry-go-round and instead have enough money for that family vacation or extra money for retirement or college.
If a kid fell off the merry-go-round the mother or nanny watching them would run over and, if they were bleeding or unconsolable, take them away.
But, as with all things, the merry-go-round stopped and my kids jumped off the ride and turned into mini Linda Blair-esque monsters.
It plays in the last episode though. when Takizawa is standing on the merry-go-round conveniently pointing at missiles and saying “bang!”
They are being followed by the police and, as they chase each other onto the merry-go-round, one policeman shoots somewhat randomly and kills the man at the controls.
Finally he gets there, and yanks the lever upright to bring the merry-go-round to an abrupt and explosive halt, causing death or injury to any number of small children, one imagines, but inadvertently resolving the situation between Bruno and Guy.
The merry-go-round accelerates wildly, women and children scream in terror, and the fight between the two protagonists increases in fury and intent.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.