American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A revolving circular platform fitted with seats, often in the form of animals, ridden for amusement.
- n. A piece of playground equipment consisting of a small circular platform that revolves when pushed or pedaled.
- n. A busy round; a whirl: a merry-go-round of parties.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A revolving machine, consisting of a series of wooden horses or carriage-seats, mounted on a circular platform, on or in which children and sometimes grown persons ride for amusement. In the United States also called a carrousel.
- n. carousel; a pleasure ride consisting of a slowly revolving circular platform affixed with various types of seats, frequently horses or other animals, typically found at fairs and amusement parks
- n. a piece of playground equipment in the style of a merry-go-round
- n. figuratively A dead-end search; a bustle of activity that gets nowhere
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Any revolving contrivance for affording amusement; esp., a group of seats in the shape of hobbyhorses or other fanciful animals, arranged in a circle on a platform that is rotated by a mechanical drive, often to the accompaniment of music; the seats often move up and down in synchrony with the rotation; -- called also
carousel. It is employed primarily for the amusement of children, and is typically found at an amusement park.
- n. a never-ending cycle of activities and events (especially when they seem to have little purpose)
- n. a large, rotating machine with seats for children to ride or amusement
“Cameron blamed what he called the "merry-go-round" in which a small group of boardroom directors approve each other's excessive packages to the detriment of their own companies.”
“If you have been on the merry-go-round for a while, more drastic steps may be needed.”
“If you do, you are on the car loan merry-go-round, and it's time to make a plan to get off.”
“Through prudent planning it is possible to get off the car loan merry-go-round and instead have enough money for that family vacation or extra money for retirement or college.”
“If a kid fell off the merry-go-round the mother or nanny watching them would run over and, if they were bleeding or unconsolable, take them away.”
“But, as with all things, the merry-go-round stopped and my kids jumped off the ride and turned into mini Linda Blair-esque monsters.”
“It plays in the last episode though. when Takizawa is standing on the merry-go-round conveniently pointing at missiles and saying “bang!””
“They are being followed by the police and, as they chase each other onto the merry-go-round, one policeman shoots somewhat randomly and kills the man at the controls.”
“Finally he gets there, and yanks the lever upright to bring the merry-go-round to an abrupt and explosive halt, causing death or injury to any number of small children, one imagines, but inadvertently resolving the situation between Bruno and Guy.”
“The merry-go-round accelerates wildly, women and children scream in terror, and the fight between the two protagonists increases in fury and intent.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘merry-go-round’.
Interesting gene names. Some of these may have changed recently (to something less offensive/funny).
tinman, agnostic, dreadlocks, Van Gogh, fruitless, lava lamp, ariadne, cheap date, ken and barbie, I'm not dead yet, I'm not dead yet 2, manic fringe and 1192 more...
For more flower fun, see these lists:
Rose words by mollusque
Rose varieties by mollusque
Tulip Names I
Tulip Names II: You Know My Name
A Myriad of Irii
words that imply circular direction or shape
Looking for tweets for merry-go-round.