from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A rotating part of an electrical or mechanical device.
- n. An assembly of rotating horizontal airfoils, as that of a helicopter.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A rotating part of a mechanical device, for example in an electric motor, generator, alternator or pump.
- n. The wing of a helicopter or similar aircraft
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The rotating part of a generator or motor. Contrasted with
stator, the stationary part.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A quantity having magnitude, direction, and position.
- n. In electricity, the revolving element of an electric machine.
- n. The revolving part of a steam-turbine. It consists of the shaft and the disks carrying the buckets on which the steam pressure acts.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. rotating mechanism consisting of an assembly of rotating airfoils
- n. the revolving bar of a distributor
- n. the rotating armature of a motor or generator
Contraction of rotator.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)