from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A series of contests in which a number of contestants compete and the one that prevails through the final round or that finishes with the best record is declared the winner.
- n. A medieval martial sport in which two groups of mounted and armored combatants fought against each other with blunted lances or swords.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. During the Middle Ages, a series of battles and other contests designed to prepare knights for war.
- n. A series of games; either the same game played many times, or a succession of games related by a single theme; played competitively to determine a single winning team or individual.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A mock fight, or warlike game, formerly in great favor, in which a number of combatants were engaged, as an exhibition of their address and bravery; hence, figuratively, a real battle.
- n. Any contest of skill in which there are many contestents for championship.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A tourney. See tourney and just.
- n. In later times, a contest of skill in which men on horseback riding at full speed strove to carry off on their spears a certain number of rings hung just over their heads.
- n. Encounter; shock of battle.
- n. Any contest of skill in which a number of persons take part: as, a chess tournament.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a series of jousts between knights contesting for a prize
- n. a sporting competition in which contestants play a series of games to decide the winner
He treats us to a long discourse on "banded mail", the full-faced bucket helms are probably fifty years too hi-tech, the use of a barrier in tournament is a tad precocious.
We're back and RVD is in the ring with Bischoff, and RVD is telling Bischoff how upset he was about being stripped of the TNA World Title and the announcement of the title tournament, but there's nothing he can do about it, so he wishes luck to Kurt Angle, Jeff Hardy, and Ken
Many hardcore fans were angered that he was given a shot in the title tournament with such a thin MMA resume.
A world class Cobia tournament is a natural fit for the area.
Another concern for the tournament is the high crime rate that plagues many Brazilian cities.
This tournament is an important warmup for the French Open, which starts May 23.
But I think that being in this tournament is advantageous because we're playing matches that are meaningful on a weekly basis, so it is great training.
That's what this tournament is about, '' Gonzaga coach Mark Few said.
` ` Every team in this tournament is a good team. ''
"I am just excited to be playing, and winning this tournament is a highlight of my life."
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.